|
|
Woodford Times - Peoria, IL
  • Holiday tips to avoid fires

  • The Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal reminds residents to use caution as certain holiday lights and other decorations with line voltage can be directly linked to fires.
    • email print
  • The Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal reminds residents to use caution as certain holiday lights and other decorations with line voltage can be directly linked to fires. In an effort to prevent fire incidents, old holiday decorations and extension cords should be checked and “Inspecting old decorations and discarding defective ones should be followed in order to avoid fire accidents," said State Fire Marshal Larry Matkaitis. “We urge families to avoid overloading extension cords with holiday decorations.” In Illinois, a total of 3,548 fires were reported during the month of December of 2012. Out of those fires, 12 of them were associated with Christmas trees, holiday decorations, and other type of recreational materials, resulting in $85,227 in property losses. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), on average, electrical failures and malfunctions are found in nearly 30 percent of home Christmas tree structure fires. Close to half of the cases occur during the month of December. Another 18 percent of fires are linked to some type of heat source too close to the Christmas tree. Other incidents point at decorative lights plugged to line voltages. It is important to remind the public that natural trees carry a higher risk of fire compared to artificial ones. Therefore, to prevent fires in natural trees, they should be kept watered and moist. OSFM offers the following tips to consumers: • For an artificial tree, be sure it’s labeled, certified or identified by the manufacturer as fire- • For a fresh tree, make sure the green needles don’t fall off when touched. Before placing it in the stand, cut 1-2” from the base of the trunk. Add water to the tree stand, and be sure to water it • Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit, and is at least three feet away from any heat source such as fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents, space heaters or lights. • Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving the room or going to bed. • After the holidays, discard the tree. Dried-out trees are a fire hazard and should not be left in the home or garage. • Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory, and make sure you know whether they are designed for indoor or outdoor use. • Replace strings of lights with worn or broken cords, or loose bulb connections. • Connect no more than three strands of mini-string sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs. • Never use lit candles to decorate the tree. Read the manufacturer’s instructions for the number of LED strands safe to connect. • Bring outdoor electrical lights inside after the holidays to prevent hazards and to make them last longer. December is the peak month for home candle fires, with Christmas Eve and Christmas Day representing two of the top five days for associated fires. More than half of all candle fires start when they are placed too close to combustible household items (i.e. curtains, lamp shades, other fabrics, and plastic) and holiday decorations (i.e., trees, garland, stockings, wrapping paper, and wrapped/boxed gifts). • Consider using flameless candles, which look and smell like real candles. If you do use traditional candles, keep them at least 12” away from anything that can burn, and remember to blow them out when you leave the room or go to bed. • Use candle holders that are sturdy, won’t tip over and are placed on uncluttered surfaces. • Avoid using candles in the bedroom, where two of five U.S. candle fires begin, or other areas where people may fall asleep. • Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle. • Always put candles out before leaving the room. For more information about fire safety and prevention, please visit http://www.sfm.illinois.gov or www.nfpa.org.
      • calendar