The Pekin boys soccer team took its sixth straight loss in a 2-1 fashion in a Mid-Illini Conference matchup with Metamora at Coal Miners Park Tuesday.

Despite the loss, the Dragons (1-10-3, 1-4-1) snapped a three-game scoreless streak after scoring the first goal of the game in the 19th minute.

Pekin’s Michael Geier made a perfect corner kick towards the goal, leading to Landen Antonini’s header that sent the ball into the back of the net.

“That’s the second one he’s got in (this season),” Pekin head coach Gus Kormah said. “(Landen’s) played pretty well. He’s probably our most improved player on this team. As a sophomore, that’s something to look forward to the next couple years.”

Metamora (5-9-1, 3-3) had plenty of scoring chances all afternoon, compiling 14 shots on goal, including eight direct kicks.

However, the Dragons’ defense kept the Redbirds quiet until the 34th minute of the first half.

Striker Josh Halter made his way through the defense and scored off a rebound, sending the game into a tie at halftime.

It was Halter’s sixth goal of the season, good for second best on the team according to MaxPreps.

Metamora took the lead in the 64th minute. Ian Conger scored his 11th goal of the season to help give the Redbirds momentum and eventually the win.

Pekin came just short from tying the game in the final minute.

Multiple passes through the Metamora defense allowed Antonini to get a shot inches away at the goal, but Metamora goalie Owen Greenfield made a diving, game-saving play to secure the win for Metamora.

“They made a good save,” Kormah said. “We should win some of these games but we just don’t have enough fight right now. The kids are growing. All I can say is I’m proud of the young guys and my seniors. We’re putting in the effort, we just can’t get over the hump.”

Greenfield finished with 12 saves in the game.

The Dragons wrap up the season by hosting Monmouth-Roseville, traveling to Limestone and hosting Rock Island in the season finale Oct. 13.