EUREKA — A woman and her dog died in an apartment fire over the weekend as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, the Woodford County coroner said Monday night.

Tim Ruestman could not immediately confirm the name but said the woman was pronounced dead at 6:10 a.m. Sunday at Advocate Eureka Hospital.

Randy Wolfe, the head of emergency medical services for the Eureka-Goodfield Fire Protection District, said it was called at about 3:30 a.m. to Woodridge Apartments, located at 701 E. Bullock St., on a report of a fire. When they arrived, they found a ground-level unit in one four-unit building that had a fire. The fire was contained just to that unit, but the entire building suffered some degree of smoke damage.

No one else was injured. All four units, he said, were occupied at the time.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation by the state fire marshal, he said. A damage estimate wasn't available.