Thomas Vincent Pinkham arrived in Fondulac Township in 1838. He was born in Grafton County, New Hampshire on March 24, 1814, to Thomas Jefferson and Margret Vincent Pinkham. Thomas Jefferson Pinkham was a veteran of the War of 1812 and had received a land patent in Hancock County . In 1840, Thomas Vincent purchased the west one-half of the southeast one-quarter of section 26 from Allan Donoho. This eighty acre property, today, fronts East Washington Street where Reggie’s Autobody sits. Allan Donoho was one of the earliest white inhabitants of Fondulac Township, having arrived in 1823 with his father, Major Donoho and family. Thomas V. later purchased sixty acres of land south of what is now Fondulac Township Cemetery and one hundred sixty acres in Palatine Township in Woodford County.
Thomas Vincent was a farmer and married Ann Maria (Mariah) Camlin on Nov. 25, 1843. Mariah was the daughter of neighbor Thomas Camlin who had settled here in 1823. The Pinkhams had ten children, seven who survived to adulthood. Emeline there third daughter, married John Wesley Burroughs, and resided at the Pinkham farm following her father’s death. Two of her daughters later owned Elmiron Cole’s mansion, 154 East Washington Street, which was razed for the construction of the East Peoria First United Methodist Church.
Thomas V. Pinkham was a Justice of the Peace for seventeen years and served in most of the offices of Fondulac Township. He died Jan. 10, 1891, and is buried in Fondulac Township Cemetery.
Compiled December 2018 by Frank Borror
The East Peoria Historical Society is located at 324-326 Pekin Ave. It is dedicated to the collection and preservation of local history. If anyone has information or pictures regarding East Peoria they would share please contact Frank Borror at 696-9227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.