History display at Metamora library

Staff Writer
Woodford Times
The history display about Metamora at the Illinois Prairie District Public Library in Metamora.

Metamora has a rich, historical background. Area people are proud of the courthouse where Abraham Lincoln served, the town square gazebo where bands have entertained with concerts for years, the architecturally interesting homes from another era, the old storefronts around the square, the brick streets, and the churches.

Soon the town will be filled with people and all the excitement that comes with Old Settler’s festivities.

In recognition of Metamora history, during the month of June the Metamora Branch at Illinois Prairie District Public Library will be displaying a few items from the town’s past.

A sesquicentennial bowl celebrating 150 years from 1836-1986 has paintings of Metamora landmarks. Several souvenir books from 1968 to 1986 depict pictures and stories of the town over the years.

Two telephone books are on loan from Metamora Telephone Company. One is the first phone book from 1946. The other is the 1986 book with the picture of local philanthropist Bertha Snyder on the cover.

Several wooden replicas of Metamora buildings, such as the courthouse, gazebo, Stevenson House, Metamora House, Willman store, train depot, and St. Mary’s Church, are also on display.

These are interspersed with pictures and books about the structures and the people behind them. Don’t forget to check the top of the display case to see the large replica of the courthouse in its usual place. Also, take a walk to the back of the library to see the print drawings on the wall by Douglas Depauw of the churches in town.

Go to the IPDPL web page at www.ipdpl.org to get an overview of the Metamora history exhibit. Then come to the library during the month of June to look over the display.

— Submitted by Sandy Madsen