Watch out for bah-humbug attitude and speeding cars

DeWayne Bartels

Thursday is my favorite day of the work week.

It is the day I head to the police station and look at police reports and see all the crazy sh..., er, stuff people do.

What you see weekly in police news is but a fraction of the stuff I sort through. This week is no exception. So, let us look into some of the craziness our police officers dealt with recently that did not necessarily make it into police news.

Last week’s visit started well when one of the first reports I looked at was for Terrance M. Bradley, 21, of 4105 N. Boulevard, Peoria Heights. His arrest is in police news, but it illustrates so well what police officers deal with, it is worth repeating.

Bradley apparently got on the wrong side of the police officer he dealt with at 3:42 a.m. Nov. 7 at an undisclosed address. Bradley was arrested for aggravated discharge of a firearm, operating an uninsured vehicle, driving on a suspended or revoked driver’s license, fleeing police, no valid registration, inoperable headlights or taillights, squealing tires, improper turn, improper bumpers, unsafe movement of a parked vehicle and obstructing an officer.

Talk about a bad way to start your day.

Now, let us delve into a couple of reports where there no arrests but should still send a shiver up the spine of North Peorians. In recent months with the burglaries and home invasions that have gone on the idea that no one is completely safe has been reinforced in North Peoria.

Some Peoria police officers on Nov. 5 headed out with a mission. They wanted to capture Brandon A. Cannon, 23, of 2313 W. Malone.

Cannon, a felon, is wanted on an Illinois Department of Corrections warrant for parole violation. He is wanted by Peoria police for unlawful use of weapons, possession of a firearm by a felon, no FOID and possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number. The Pekin police want a piece of him, too, for an obstruction of justice case.

The officers caught up with Cannon at 9:45 p.m. in the parking lot of Elliott’s, 7807 N. University. He had another male and a female in the car with him. The female left the car. Cannon and his passenger pulled out of the lot headed southbound on University.

The officers called for backup. Intelligence on Cannon said he would likely take violent action against police officers if confronted.

But, as it turned out that night it was not only police officers who had reason to fear Cannon.

Cannon, perhaps unaware he was being followed by undercover officers in an unmarked squad car, turned westbound on Willow Knolls and turned southbound on Allen Road. It was at the intersection of War Memorial and Allen Road that a marked squad car caught up with them. When Cannon got the green turn arrow, and the officer in the marked squad car turned on his lights, Cannon accelerated through the intersection and hit speeds in excess of 90 MPH.

Cannon wound around North Peoria with squad cars in pursuit. Cannon’s speed and disregard for others almost resulted in two accidents — one at War Memorial and Northland and one at War Memorial and Glen — where he ran a stop light.

Worried Cannon’s complete disregard for others was putting innocent people at significant risk the officers terminated the chase.

But, they kept up the hunt for Cannon. That paid off a second time. They located him in the 100 block of W. McClure. Cannon drove through residential neighborhoods, including my own, on another random drive through the city. At least he showed some restraint traveling at a top speed of 40 MPH. That is, until he reached I-74 when he punched the accelerator again and was last seen burning up the highway.

Wouldn’t you just love to be around when the police catch up with Cannon. I know I would. His list of charges will make Bradley’s look like amateur hour.

But, that is only the start of startling police incidents in recent days.

At 12:14 a.m. Nov. 10 an employee at Buffalo Wild Wings, 5121 W. American Prairie Dr., stepped outside to dump some trash. He was confronted by two black males wearing ski masks.

One of the suspects stepped up, stuck a gun in the man’s face and said, “Strip.”

As the man began to take off his shirt the suspects threw him to the ground, tied his feet and hands with zip ties and put duct tape on his mouth and glasses.

As the victim struggled and got out of the tie binding his legs another employee, a female, came out to empty some trash. She was confronted by one of the suspects, was pushed to the ground and, she said, shocked three times in the arm with a stun gun.

She screamed and when other employees came outside the suspects fled.    

We may be approaching the holiday season, but be on the lookout. It seems there is an abundance of people with a bah-humbug attitude.