Metamora basketball plays in Macomb Holiday Tournament

Justin Miller

The Metamora boys' basketball team kept the wins rolling when it started the Macomb Holiday Tournament.

Metamora beat Camp Point, 57-48, Dec. 26.

The game started with both teams trying to figure each other out both defensively and offensively.

Metamora's offense quickly set itself up and went to work knocking down shots, despite the best effort of the Camp Point defense.

Tianen Chen quickly established himself as the dominant player in the game by sinking shot after shot over Camp Point defenders as well as driving to the hoop to score in the post.

Chen led the team with 21 points for the game.

After the opening quarter, Metamora led, 11-10.

In the second quarter, Metamora's offense continued rolling by cutting through wide open lanes left by the Camp Point defense.

Jackson Grieves had no trouble blowing past defenders to create easy shot opportunities.

Grieves finished the game with 18 points.

Despite slipping on defense, the Camp Point offense continued to steadily put up enough points to stay in the game.

At halftime, Metamora led, 27-21.

Following halftime, the Camp Point defense was able to hold Metamora's potent offense from going on a run.

Metamora's defense, however, also limited the damage from Camp Point and held a 39-32 lead going into the final frame.

In the fourth quarter, each side forgot the defensive aspect of the game and focused on putting points on the board.

The Redbird offense found the hoop from both the perimeter and the post and Camp Point did the same.

In the end, the Redbirds outshot their opponents and won.

The team then took down West Hancock, 50-46, in overtime Thursday.

In the first half, Metamora's offense dominated the West Hancock defense and had no trouble finding the open man and hoop to rack up 29 points.

Despite a speedy defensive effort, West Hancock was able to keep Metamora's lead slim and trailed 29-21 at halftime.

After putting up a great offensive effort in the first half, the 16 minutes after halftime was almost a mirror opposite.

No matter what the Redbirds tried, they could not keep up the intensity they put forth in the first half.

West Hancock, however, continued its stead style of play and quickly cut into the Redbird lead.

At the end of four quarters, the teams found themselves tied.

In overtime, the Redbird defense clamped down to make up for the offensive lag and held West Hancock to three points.

Offensively, the team did enough in the overtime to win.

Chen led the team with 12 points.

The team next plays at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at Peoria Central.