Roger Wehrli breakouts
THE WEHRLI FILE
Full name: Roger Russel Wehrli
Birthdate: Nov. 26, 1947
Birthplace: New Point, Mo.
High school: King City (Mo.)
Presenter: Larry Wilson, former teammate, Hall of Fame Class of 1978
Pro career: 14 seasons, 193 games DRAFTED 1st round (19th overall) in 1969 by St. Louis Cardinals
Uniform number: 22
- Quarterbacks and receivers were not the only opposing players Roger Wehrli harassed. He tied a Cardinals record with 19 career fumble recoveries, a mark he still shares with Mark Arneson (1972-80).
- Wehrli returned punts during his first seven seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals. He averaged a career-best 10.2 yards on nine returns in 1973.
- Wehrli’s Cardinals were surprise winners of the NFC East in 1974. Nevada oddsmakers listed the Cardinals as a 100-1 shot to win the division entering the season.
- With the Cardinal defense struggling in 1981, Wehrli moved from right to left cornerback. In his first start, he made four tackles and broke up two passes in a 24-0 win over Buffalo that started a four-game winning streak.
- Wehrli became a charter member of the University of Missouri Athletics Hall of Fame in 1990. He also was voted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2003.